Wednesday 8 September 2010

Summer placement

Over summer I sat a placement at the Isle of Man Beauro post office. I was put in the marketing department for a week where I experienced a range of different briefs which were all live.

My experience was good one - as I said in my presentation the first couple of briefs I undertook were 'dull' however it got me into a good frame of mind to start designing.

Over the week I was asked to produce several A0 posters which would be situated in the reception areas of the building I was working in. I was also asked to produce several which could be used on the streets of Douglas (the city) that promoted new ranges of stamps and coins which were avaliable. For this task i was asked to use photoshop - a piece of software which I am familiar with, however not used in my own work in some years.

My favorite task was to produce a mock-up for a new look website. I was given a limited colour pallet and the fonts which were to be used along with several guidlines in terms of what HAD to be seen on the site. I really enjoyed this task - even though it was limited in terms of freedom I could still be experimental with the layout and mix of colours.

All in all - I found my work experience very valuable. It was great to see how the design department worked and how briefs were managed all at once. I wish to do more work experience however this time I would like to be in a design house. I think this is the direction I wish to go in. I would like to produce work freelance however a steady job with a good income and valuable experience I feel is essential in my practice rite now.

Thanks to Dot Tilbury for giving me the placement and the rest of the staff who made me feel a part of the team on my first day.




A couple of snapshots of me at my desk researching other websites and developing some mock-ups for the new Isle of Man post office website.

No comments:

Post a Comment