Monday 17 January 2011

Marc Redhead - Self Promo

This is the start of the self promo. Jam & Toast is no more (at the minute) and Marc Redhead the designer is getting an identity. For the start of the design process, i decided not to restrict myself, so i have no limitations in terms of using my full name or just my initials.
Because i'm a type based designer - and illustrated logo was immediately out of the question. I wanted to find a typeface which was sharp and eye-catching.

My initial ideas (at the bottom of this post) were safe concepts. I was working them on the basis of the space around the letterform. I wanted to create a logo which shows letterforms which don't actually exist. However this concept got tedious and before long i had exhausted the idea.

I then moved on and started using solid fonts. At this stage i also experimented with using my full name apposed to just my initials. I got influence for several of the designs from one of 'Lily Allens' album artworks, however it was not complimenting my design direction, so once again it was time to move on.

I tend to lean towards sans-serif typefaces in my work - and i feel my own identity shouldn't be any different. I once again returned to using my initials apposed to my full name. I much prefer this and it allows me to be more experimental with the layout. Placing these designs in a circle at first was a nice direction to take the design, however after a sit down and a chat with a fellow designer, we both agreed its done too much and that it wasn't going to work.


















No comments:

Post a Comment